20080106

Stallone vs. Maradona

As a kid, roaming the streets of Strömtorp in the mid-80's, I remember having two idols. Depending on the occassion and what game we played - you would either want to be Rambo or Maradona. The former one in war games and well surprisingly the latter one when we played fotball.

Seeing how time has treated them, I'd say Stallone came out the winner - and with postproduction going on for Rambo IV you could even say time has stood still :)

To the left: Hand of God - To the right: Hand of Ragnaros?

From full throttle killing machine to - well the same

The most fascinating thing about this isn't the fact that two boys run around the streets playing games and imitating their idols or whatever. The thing is that I at that point hadn't seen a second of Maradona's football playing, nor had I seen Rambo - First Blood - but I knew damn well what a "Rambo knife" was. Every boy HAD to have one, preferably with compass in the hilt and a lid you could take off to store matches and fish hooks.

This was somewhere around 1986 I suppose. If the same thing were to happen today - 6 year old kids showing fascination over knifes, soft air guns, fire and arson and mayhem in general - I guess you would see involvment of social authorities, sudden removal from your home. But I came out of it without any major issues. Not that I am issue-free, but those ones have other heritage.


Today my idols range from Dave Gahan - an ex. heroin addict to my soon-to-be 4 year old niece.
(Jan 19th, congratulations in advance)


Heia Norge !

No comments: