20080407

You want to take my soul away...

Cover art
Like Ninjas? Zombies? Wolverine? Want to see Wolverine fight ninjas and zombies? Then this is the book for you! Wolverine returns to Japan only to get caught in the middle of an ancient war between gods and demons! Can Logan tip the balance for good – and save his soul, Japan and the world?
Extract from the Marvel catalogue

Hell yeah, he can!

I bought the series of 5 Wolverine episodes, the Soultaker in Amsterdam - somehow that makes the comic something more. Not like saying, yeah I bought a comic down at my local COOP-store, threw it in the basket along with shaving foam and toilet paper. No this is serious business, spent a good long 30 minutes to pick and choose from the shelves in Henk's comic store*. Even though I almost knew on forehand I was going to go for some Wolverine-action.

It is set in modern Japan as the tag line says, but still flirts with ancient Japanese culture and tales with the classical demons and artefacts belonging to cults and sects.

Loved the art in it, great paper quality and glossy fine pages. But I can't help but getting the feel that these type of comics are slightly too short for my liking, and this is after all a five magazine collection. Compared to other media I revel in, this is "over" in just an hour or two. Though it might be unfair to compare it to a novel or say a whole season of 24, that would keep me busy for a week or two. But still ... the feeling is still there. Sure I get to see Wolverine turn the living dead in to ... well ... dead. But I want more depth, more more more. This just feels like I've been scratching on Mr Logan's surface.

Comic Art, random page.

Well, summing it up. It is still Wolverine. It is still good action and glossy pages with great detailed artwork. Still lovin' it.

*And this is just awesome, a 4 minute 30 clip called "Tour d'Henk" of the very same Comic & Manga store (in Dutch, but with theme by Johnny Cash). And I've heard they store som Hentai as well for those interested. Not sure what to do with the Hentai-semi-nude-Japanese-action-dolls they sold though. Someone enlightened on the topic might want to enlighten me.

** And for the Apoptygma fans out there, hi Zarah, the title of this post is of course an extract from their song with the same name, namely Soultaker from the 2000 album Welcome to Earth.

*** And for all of you readers out there, hi the four of you, this is actually the 100th post. Hooray for me!

1 comment:

Fredrik said...

"No this is serious business, spent a good long 30 minutes to pick and choose from the shelves in Henk's comic store*"

serious business indeed !