20080421

Ich bin ein Skandinavier.

Vad bjuder oss uppriktigt Afrika?
Vad visa kan Amerika?
Vad Asien? Vad allt Europa?
Jag trotsar öppet alltihopa.
Men Skandinavien - det är alladar!
Blott Sverige svenska krusbär har.
Carl Jonas Love Almqvist - Om svenska rim (1838)

He might twist it slightly more patriotic than I should. But yet, how wonderful it is to be a Scandinavian. How much you appreciate light after darkness. How much the suns warms your skin after being clad in furs for six months. How soft the soil is under you bare feet after a winter in boots. How life seems to jumpstart from our hibernated winter mode.

I have had the first taste of summer -08. Rosy cheeks and smiling faces wherever you go. And if you by chance decided to go to the Swedish West Coast this weekend, and if you by chance would happen to know a friendly hospitable family there then I guess you are doubly blessed.
Spent a fantastic weekend, hmmm overdoing the superlatives slightly, in Gothenburg and Utby.
The weekend couldn't have started in a worse way - spent Friday night in the office until 2 AM and got back to the hotel to grab some four hours of sleep before I dragged my zombie body in a comatose matter to the awaiting Gothenburg train Saturday morning. Where I had some good three hours of drewling on the seat. But fear not reader it is all uphill from here.
Met up with my old live-in to join him in a quest for a spring jacket. A jacket he decided to buy in the Boomerang store, the same store I have come to despite after seeing the print on the plastic bag he got:


Nevertheless, a simple insult to my lifestyle like that didn't bring me down and instead I placed myself on the bus north. Headed for Uddevalla, Torp and an awaiting committee of the aforementioned family and son-in-law ready prepared with a full plate of barbeque served warm and to be eaten on the go (and in respect to my grey year a non-alcoholic Carlsberg). We set off for Orust and Ellös for a trip in the "archipelago" (some would just say "coast") and a fantastic evening by boat around the sites and sights out there with a short stop on Käringön (made "famous" in SMHI's Sjörapporter for the measuring station "Måseskär")

Bohuslandic idyll

A picnic, a car ride, a good talk on entrepreneurship in the manly trio and Saturday was all.
Sunday came off, if possible, even better with sea-kayaking, this years first swim, watching sea birds mate and date at open sea, a great dine and once more I found myself back in Gothenburg 24h later. Met up with my partner in crime CJ for a fruitful walk-and-talk in Slottsskogen and got to see both his apartment and live-in for the first time unfortunately not I didn't get to see the penguines as promised. To round it off the train ride back home held a good few hours of talk on sewing and knitting, eating and drinking with miss Värnamo.

All along the watchtower ... The Observatory, Slottsskogen

Well ... S U M M E R is here indeed dear friends.
Less talk wore walk, get up get out get on with it!

No comments: