20070910

180º

Mosaic window art @ Oppsal Kirke, Oslo

Having attended my baby sister's confirmation this sunday in church
some thoughts struck my mind.
a) what are other people fed in their schooling and culture?
b) the actual saying and wording in some of the psalms and prayers is quite scary.

Islam is a religion that comes to mind so monday morning I headed straight in to Bokus to order some literature to ease some of my curiosity
"What Everyone Should Know About Islam And Muslims" (2005) and
"Islam och Europa" (1995)

Now I lay me down to sleep,
I pray Thee, Lord, my soul to keep.
If I should die before I wake, I pray Thee, Lord, my soul to take.
If I should live to future days,
I pray Thee, Lord, to guide my ways. Amen.
Evening Prayer
The core of Christianity - to invoke fear in it's believers.
To keep the people in check. To serve them their opium.
It is the way it goes, u need the whip and the carrot.

This is in not a very large extent the case here today,
but the wording in the prayers and the book behind it is
I can imagine "younger" countries going through the same Christianization
would have more of that today. I won't touch US of A and their relations with religion.
So I'll leave it at this with a short oxymoron:
(Can't really come to an answer,
just wanted to ventilate some thoughts that spring to mind.)
Thank god for for our secularization


The day yesterday also held a world première -
A debut for me on the squash-court, and a merry one as well!
Hopefully that can be a re-ocurring event.
(Pricing in Oslo for the curious one - 130NOK/court/30mins)

And to return to the title and fill in the unexplained word left there - bike - I'll just repeat what I've said earlier on the convenient success a bike in the city is. Distances shrink to zero suddenly. Giving me time for other stuff :)

No comments: